It’s Easy to Add Deliciously Lean Protein to Your Whole30 Diet
Try StarKist’s® protein-packed tuna, chicken and salmon.
The Whole30 diet is a 30-day, restricted diet to eliminate foods that may be bothersome. It is based on protein foods, like meat, seafood and eggs and includes vegetables and fruits and “natural fats” along with herbs and spices and other seasonings. It’s recommended that you eat mainly whole, unprocessed foods, as much as possible. The diet also encourages avoiding all types of sugar and artificial sweeteners (including honey and agave syrup), alcohol, all grains, legumes, dairy products, MSG and sulfites, and all “junk food”.
The founders of this diet encourage people to strictly follow this diet 100% for 30 days. It is supposed to help curb cravings and bad eating habits. After 30 days, they recommend slowly adding foods back in to see how they are tolerated.
Fish is a lean protein that is encouraged for the Whole30 diet. Our StarKist® Chunk Light, Albacore Tuna, Wild Pink Salmon as well as our StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® are all great choices to incorporate into easy, Whole30-friendly recipes.
Visit our Where to Buy page to find local retailers and online shopping options to stock up on your StarKist® favorites and to make your Whole30 diet journey as successful as possible.
Team Charlie, don’t forget to sign up for our eNewsletters to get product news, tips, savings, recipes and more sent right to your inbox! Want to stay even more up to date with all things StarKist®? Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube.
This information is provided as general information only and should not be used in place of medical advice. Please talk with your health care provider before starting any diet or specialized eating plan.
FAQs: Want to know more about the Whole30 diet? Check out our FAQs below!
The Whole30 diet is an eating plan based on protein foods, including seafood, meat and eggs. Fruit, nuts and vegetables are also encouraged. The basis of the diet is that it avoids all grains, starchy vegetables, dairy products, legumes, sugars, as well as highly processed foods. They recommend you follow the diet strictly for 30 days and then gradually begin adding foods back in to see how you tolerate them.
Meal prepping is the key to being successful on the Whole30 diet. Since you will need to prepare most foods from scratch being organized and having a few shortcuts is going to be essential. Here are a few tips to help you manage meal prepping:
- Plan your meals ahead of time so you will always have what you need on hand.
- Make extras so you have leftovers in the freezer that you can pull out for a hurried evening.
- Don’t forget breakfasts and lunches. Get foods for those meals prepped while dinner is cooking.
- Keep bagged salads, nut butters, hard boiled eggs and pouches of tuna and salmon ready to go.
- Cook or grill an extra chicken breast or flank steak to slice up and add to a salad for lunch.
Yes! In addition to those recipes featured in our above gallery, here are some of our favorites that work well if you are following a Whole30 diet, and many of ours can be modified just by eliminating the dairy or legumes and substituting zoodles or cauliflower rice for pasta, or regular rice or couscous, and they will still be delicious!
Try our Korean Style Tuna Bibimbap (use cauliflower rice) or our Zucchini Boats stuffed with Albacore and Fresh Vegetables (just skip the cheese!)
Eating healthy on the go can be a challenge, no matter what eating plan you follow. The Whole30 diet includes flavorful foods that can be prepared ahead and taken on the go. Pack a salad for lunch, and just add a pouch of our Chunk Light or Albacore Tuna for a delicious lunch or snack. Keep a pouch of StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Tuna or Salmon in your desk drawer or pantry, and pair it with cut up vegetables or make a quick lettuce wrap for an afternoon pick me up.
Whole30-friendly StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® products:
- StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Solid Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Solid Yellowfin Tuna with Roasted Garlic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Solid Yellowfin Tuna with Lemon Dill and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- StarKist Selects® Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- StarKist Selects® Solid Yellowfin Tuna in Water
- StarKist Selects® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water
- StarKist Selects® Low Sodium Chunk Light Tuna in Water
- StarKist Selects® Very Low Sodium Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water
- StarKist Selects E.V.O.O.® Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Whole30-friendly StarKist® products: